These Are the Days

First day back to school.  Bittersweet.  Hard on the mommies, no?  At least this wuss, it is.

Hate to see my little people go back, I had such a great summer hanging out with them.  Most days I genuinely enjoyed their company, the amazing people they are becoming.  Other days I  came close to breaking out the Festivus Pole, they made me so crazy.
I also hate to see them go back because as I walked out of their classrooms this morning, I could see the clock jump a year or four ahead.  Each day gets them closer to middle school, proms, drivers ed, college.
Right now I have a little bit of control left.  Sooner than not, I won't.  I can still help with school work, activities, projects.  I can intervene a bit when necessary if friendships encounter turbulence.  I can remind them of their manners, the Golden Rule, their P's and Q's as my dad would say.

I also love to see them go back to school.  For one thingI don't have to listen to anyone whine or argue for 6-7 hours.  Nice.
More importantly, they are able to reconnect with old friends, make new ones, learn something new everyday, branch out on their own a bit.  I keep reminding myself that these guys are only on loan to me.  My job is to just give them the space to figure out who they are meant to be.  Not tie them to my Festivus pole forever.


Today they came home tired but happy.  GoGo encountered a mean girl who commented on her glasses and of course my girl nipped that in the bud IMMEDIATELY.  She starts a Tai Kwon Do class this weekend so this chick should be prepared.
D needs time to process the new teacher, kids, etc.  He made a few new friends and saw all of his old ones.  And learned a rhyme that he and his friends this afternoon found hilarious.
D:  Listen to this!  It's so funny!
Friends:  What?  (giggling)
D:  Chinese, Japanese (tugging his eyes respectively), Dirty Knees, Look at THESE! (tugging his shirt respectively)
All:  Rolling on the Floor with The Giggles

Oh yes.  We are the pc household around these parts.
And yes, these are the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment