Kickin' it Old School

This week my kids and I have done the following:

1.  Cleaned the house together while listening to Fleetwood Mac on the ipod.  My two oldest Windexed windows, mirrors and one time, the dining room table.  My youngest applied the feather duster to anything unable to escape her.  We had the music cranked, coffee on, a huge bacon/egg breakfast going.  It was actually a lot of fun.  It also reminded me of being a little kid and sitting on my mom's bed with her, attempting to fold clothes while watching Donahue.  Same vibe, all good stuff.

2.  We have done multiple sets of flash cards.  Math, sight words, Mickey Mouse color ones for Agent P Walks with Purpose.  I am feeling guilty for all of our late nights at cookouts, pool dates and general summertime laziness and so I, like many others, am attempting to cram 10 weeks of reading and math worksheets into 10 days.  But, it brings back memories of being a kid and having to do them at school.

3.  We have played in water.  Our pool, the hose, large buckets filled to the brim.  Today I let them take turns shooting each other with water guns, the hose, and finally just tossing buckets of water on any unlucky schmo.  I didn't even apply sunscreen (we were in the shade most of the time and it was 10:30am).  Had it really been Old School though, I would have applied a tan enhancer with an SPF of 4 or less.

4.  We have snuggled in our jammies, watching Scooby Doo.  The old ones, not the new ones where Velma is really annoying.  We ate popcorn, drank grape koolaid and only got dressed before Daddy came home.

5.  We enjoyed McDonald's hot fudge sundaes.  In the car.  Radio up.

6.  Tomorrow we mine for gold.  Really.  AND it's free.  Now THAT is Old School.


No comments:

Post a Comment