GoGo learned to ride her bike sans training wheels tonight.
A few weeks ago our neighborhood had a community yardsale and of course I ended up swapping a baby toy for a Barbie bike. Without training wheels.
At one time, GoGo had her own girlie bike but carelessly left it in the driveway one day and Mommy carelessly backed over it. So Daddy carelessly informed her she would learn to ride a bike, using D's old one.
Yeah, right. GoGo doesn't do gray and black anything unless there is a lot of glitter or satin involved.
So, we've had this Barbie bike in our garage for 2 weeks now, with intermittent attempts at riding with Mommy's help. I didn't push too much as I have learned with my children that sometimes it's best to just stay the hell out of their way.
So tonight after dinner, GoGo and D are playing happily on the driveway while I clean up Agent P and the food on the floor that she deemed unsuitable for her consumption.
All of a sudden the door blows open and GoGo informs she is "riding her bike without wheels!"
This sentence may have surprised or even alarmed some but being this child's Mommy, I was lukewarm in my response. But she persisted, "No, I really AM!"
So I go outside and sure enough, there is my GoGo riding circles all by herself on the Barbie bike with no wheels. Training, that is.
She apparently just hopped on and repeated this mantra to herself-"Balance, keep my balance."
Those were her exact words.
I am so proud of this girl. Her brother learned to ride at almost the exact same age and in the almost exact same manner. We were at the beach and he went outside and hopped on another kid's bike and just took off across the parking lot. That is also how each potty trained and learned to write their names. On their own time, at their own pace, in their own style.
One of the many reasons I love them to pieces.
No comments:
Post a Comment