Sore Loser

I am one.
I hate to lose anything.
I do, however, teach my children that winning isn't everything and the spirit of the game is most important.  Blah, Blah, Blah.
It's all lip service.

I recently started working out again.  Back in the day, this would have been much more commonplace than now.  I haven't broken a true sweat since Gogo was in a size 1 diaper.
So I am at the Y on the treadmill, giving it the old college try.  I am running and there are ladies on either side of me running as well.
We're into it-Ipods on, sweat flying, feet pounding. 
I glance over to see at what speed they are running.  Both are higher than me.  DamnIt.
So I inch mine up a bit...realizing about 30 seconds into it that this isn't probably their 3rd day of running in almost 5 years.  Hmm. 

I am D.Y.I.N.G. but I refuse to lower my speed before one of them does.  The minutes tick by (or was that really only seconds) and FINALLY the one on my right slows to a brisk walk at an elevated incline. 
This is good.  I can do this.

I burned more calories than normal, sweated by ass off and almost had a coronary.  But I didn't surrender first.
Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment