Spelling and Weezer

So I go to a function at the kids' school last night...to ostensibly discover all the exciting things my little people will be learning during the school year.
The reality is, the mommies wanted to check up on our Little Johnnies and Little Suzies.  At least this one did.

So I am in D's class and we are looking over all of their stuff they have done so far...writing, a bit o' math, spelling.  I notice his journal, which they could decorate themselves...cutting out random letters from magazines to spell their name, pictures from mags, etc.  You get the idea.
So he has spelled his name all cute and cut out a few other things.  Totally random stuff.
"Safety Class".  Just those words, which sounds like my OSHA man.
"All About Eve".  Either the name of a feminine product or the story of a multiple personality.  Hmm.
"The Blue Moon logo".  Whoa.  Wait.A.Minute. 
To the teacher, a bit nervously I ask..."did he pick this out himself?"
"Yes, yes he did".
Okay, then. 
I glance quickly at the other mommies, wondering if they are making mental notes to themselves about me and my beer recognizing child..."Note To Self...don't let Johnnie play with that D kid lest he have to attend an AA meeting in junior high."
Hmm.
I thought about asking him about it but it was totally innocent, just logo recognition and isn't that what his generation is all about anyway??

Speaking of Blue Moon, my birthday is this Friday.  For some reason the other day, an image of myself popped into my head that made me laugh out loud to no one but myself.
I am 19 and my best friend and some other amazing friends threw me a party.  I'm sure there was a good bit of beer, albeit not Blue Moon.  There are streamers and banners wishing me a Happy 19th.
And there I am in the middle wearing my present from my best friend-a plain white t-shirt with "WEEZER" spelled out in big black letters across the back.

Does anyone know who or what a Weezer is?
Long before I ever considered moving to the South, my best friends and I watched "Steel Magnolias".  We all were given a character in the movie...and guess who I was?  Weezer.
Why?  She is a bit crazy, loud, sort of a bee-yatch and isn't afraid to rip a good belch.  With a heart of gold.
Sort of me in a nutshell.  To this day, my friends still refer to me as such sometimes and I still answer to it.

Now that I live in the South I appreciate the Weezer's of the world even more.  Me being one, and all.

I wish I still had that shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment