The Birds

So I go out through the garage today to meet the kids' bus afterschool and I hear this weird buzzing.  I look around and see what at first glance is a ridiculously LARGE bug.  As many know, certain bugs scare the Beejeezus out of me so I was not pleased.  Plus I was holding Nora and would hate to throw her in the air, due to my fright.
Upon further investagation, I see it is a hummingbird.  God Bless It.  I had never seen one that close up before.  It's very cute and very tiny.
It is also making very futile attempts to fly through my garage ceiling rather than the open doors.

I run to meet the kids off the bus and D and the twin run ahead, back to the house.
I hear him yelling frantically by the time I get back to the garage-"Mom, there is a HUMMINGBIRD trapped in our garage!  We HAVE to help it!!!"

Yes son, I am aware. 
I love that he is just like me and is like a First Responder to any of God's creatures who may be in dire straits.  People like us are suckers for animals on the side of the road both dead or alive, spiders in webs, birds in nests and every dog and kitty you could ever find.

I was taught as a kid to put worms back in the grass should you meet one on a hot sidewalk.
Give turtles a helping hand across a busy road.
Feed and water strays-what if no one else would?
Always "find" your pet-don't buy your pet.

I have given the "God's Creatures" speech to both he and his friends more times than I can count. 
As in, don't mess with them.

I really dig that he gets it.
Well done, little man.

No comments:

Post a Comment