Words, Meanings and Heebies-Jeebies

Some words I cannot stand to say out loud.  Obvious "smutty" words (as my grandma would call them) like slang for body parts, etc. 
Although for some reason I enjoy using the word a-hole as it sometimes pertains to strangers when I'm operating a motor vehicle.

I also do not care for moist, navel, mucous and for the longest time, belly.  Up until just a few years ago I really disliked this word, although I could not tell you why.  It just gave me the heebie-jeebies.
Probably because back then I didn't have a belly, per se.  Just a mid-section. 
Now,  I have a belly.  Where the remnants of 3 kids and too many Blue Moons join hands, happily.
So I kind of dig the word now.  Plus, how often do you refer to your child's mid-section or stomach?  It's a belly, period.

When D was potty training we read that it was most appropriate to teach your children the anatomically correct terms for their "privates".  So we did.  With D.
But later, I couldn't bring myself to use the Vuh-JJ word with GoGo.  Because I dislike that word.  It's about 17 kinds of ugly and just so hard to say out loud for me.
I don't recall EVER being told what that was by anyone in my immediate or extended family.  Thank God for the 5th grade movie where you "learn" about all of that.  Those types of things were not discussed in my family.  You would think we were Puritans right off the big ship.

Friends called it a "lucy".  Hmm.  You better believe that my son and his friends think "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is hilarious.  Better than nothing so we went with that.
But GoGo has intermittently referred to her goods as a wiener or penis on multiple occasions.  Like in front of my grandmother...oh I feel the blush now.  I have corrected her multiple times, explaining only boys have that, etc.  But the next time she and D are having a battle, I hear "he kicked me in my wiener".  What to do?
I certainly don't want her going to kindergarten with this misinformation.
But oh, to say that word.  I just don't know.

I mean, I still haven't accurately or honestly told my children how Agent P got out of my belly.  Hmm.  Clearly, I have issues.  Certain words have the Heebie-Jeebie power over me. 
Maybe I do have some Puritan blood running unclaimed in my veins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment