Just read an interesting article www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/personal/04/30/o.why.didnt.want.girl/index.html
about a pregnant woman with two boys who doesn't want the third to be a girl. At first glance it sounds kind of mean but...
I felt the same way while pregnant with my second, now FANTASTICALLY PRECIOUS daughter, Margot. I was petrified I wouldn't be a good "girl" mom-the hair bows, the make-up, the drama...what could I bring to the table? Between growing up a bit of a tom-boy and the fact my own mom died when I was young, I always felt I lacked some innate female knowledge that would allow me to be that amazing girl mom you see on TV -the kind that wears matching outfits with her daughter, holds hands with her in the mall and knows how to french braid hair.
I, alas, am not cut from that cloth. But you figure it out. To my delight, I discovered a hidden compartment deep inside myself that contains a love of embroidered dresses, painting nails and playing dollhouse. It helps that my daughter enjoys all of the above but also building Legos, hitting a ball and playing chase. She is the absolute best of both worlds and has helped me to appreciate "girl power" all the more.
Maybe some day soon I can tackle the french braid thing...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I adore my daughter so much and have been so surprisingly pleased that she is a bit of a tom-boy with even some punk tendencies. I think that has a lot to do with having an older brother and not having a girly girl mom who over-indulges in the princess crap! =) Heather
Post a Comment