I've been wondering what memories my kids will carry with them into adulthood...today for some incredibly random reason I smelled something that reminded me of what my grandma's house smelled like when I was a kid...a combination of fresh laundry (Downy, always) and an early summer breeze coming through her back screened door. It was delicious and almost made me cry.
Will my kids carry with them certain smells, sounds, images they can recall years from now? I assume so. I hope they remember lying in the hammock, looking at clouds together or eating dinner on a blanket on the front porch while it rains or slipping their hand in mine as we strolled through the farmers market. I hope it's not me telling them to hang on, I have one more work email to send before I can build Legos or play dollhouse...
Everyone tells you the time with your children goes by so quickly-some days you think yeah, whatever as you are about to lose you shit from lack of sleep, sibling arguments and too much laundry. But in quiet moments when you can reflect a bit, it seems the whole time since their arrival is just one big blur-like the last several seconds of a "Day in the Life" by the Beatles sounds. I sometimes wish it was back in the day and we could just rewind that tape player again...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment