Today is the big day. Ash Wednesday, first day of Lent.
I am giving up beer for Lent. I feel if I put this in writing in front of other human beings, I may actually be able to keep up my end of this deal.
Although, it is sort of like giving up air or using conjunctions in sentences.
God helped me with this decision a bit-I developed a horrible ear infection/eye infection/chest infection just one day before Lent begins. Convenient. Not to be able to drink beer while on antibiotics.
So Fat Tuesday, I sucked down my last Blue Moon for 6 weeks, and hoped my medicine still started to work a wee bit.
The last time I gave up something so ingrained in my being was coffee several Lents ago.
My co-workers begged me to cave and have a cup of java. I was almost put on short-term disability, I was so hateful without my coffee.
I will be praying for nice words and hands this Lent.
GoGo suggested I give up my Ipod. Never.Gonna.Happen.
It will be painful to go without my Blue Moon, especially now that the weather will be warming up all Spring-like. But I would simply die without my music on that Ipod.
I'm not asking Walks With Purpose to go without anything or take on anything new. Except maybe "nice hands".
GoGo suggested she give up soda. Only problem with that is, she doesn't really drink soda.
So then she offered up not playing with her Barbies. Hmm...not really sure what she's giving up yet but we'll have a firm decision by bedtime tonight.
D offered to give up soda. He only drinks Sprite if we go out to eat so not really sure that counts either...his DS would be a good one. He too, will have something worked out by bedtime tonight.
I told the kids this morning that we're giving up something to remind us of what Christ gave up for us.
GoGo says, "What happens if we forget what we gave up?" Meaning, she gives up Barbies and then a week later is cruising Barbie and Ken around in the pink corvette...I tell her we're going to work hard so that doesn't happen. She says, "Ok, just remind me." Yeah.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment