Ah, youth...as the talking snowman says in Rudolph. I was remembering mine while hanging with some other mommies this weekend. We all agreed our kids' childhoods will be dramatically different from our own for many reasons.
When I was a kid I don't recall my parents "engaging me in appropriate educational play" very often.
We went to the park where I played with other kids and swung myself.
I made up games outside and played until the street lights came on.
I rode my bike for what seemed like days away from my house but in reality was probably only 8 city blocks.
My parents read to me nightly and occasionally played with my Disney figures while watching the Sunday night Disney movie on television.
I played pick-up wiffle ball and soccer games in the nbhood and roller skated like mad.
I was not entertained 24/7 by my parents or anyone else's for that matter.
I was not allowed to play inside when the weather was above 45 or below 90.
I had freedom my kids will never know in terms of where I went/at what time/and with whom.
I did not engage in much free play with either parent involving Lego building, babydolls or coloring. I was capable of doing those things by myself and with friends, that I chose on my own and not because my parents were BFF with hers.
I played no organized sports until junior high. After that I was a varsity athlete every year through highschool.
Now we feel guilty for not reading enough/playing enough/teaching enough with our kids. I was doing flashcards with my kids before they were potty trained. Really, necessary? I worry many days that I didn't play enough with them and somehow that will turn them into either under-employed hoodlums or serial killers.
I sometimes get a vibe from other parents that I am doing my children a great injustice at 4 3/4 and just-turned-7 by not having them in organized sports every season of every year of their little lives. Please. When did bike riding, climbing trees and running through the yard not count for much?
And just by the grace of God do my children have great friends because most of them are due to this mommy being friends with another mommy. I just have good taste, I guess.
By the nature of how we live here and now, we tend to drive more to see friends and make them through preschool, swim lessons, tball, etc. Rarely are first friends made through neigborhoods or church anymore.
But that is ok because I can be a bit old school and so my kids will have to survive not being overscheduled with arranged friendships and multiple games on Saturday mornings...they will be too busy riding bikes with their neighborhood buddies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment