Birthdays, Big Kids and Boohoos

I cried tonight watching "Parenthood", a new show on NBC.  A potent cocktail of PMS, good TV writing and not enough leftover birthday cake brought this on.  There was a scene in the show (which is really pretty good) where the dad is visibly bummed because his 15 year old daughter is falling in love with a guy other than himself.  His oldest is growing up, becoming more independent, falling in love for the first time-yada, yada, yada.
All of a sudden scenes were running through my mind of Dominick going off to college, Margot running out the door into some boy's car and then Nora STOOD UP at the coffee table for the first time and I just lost it.  Getting old sucks because it means my little people are getting old too and some days I just want to freeze them right where they are with their cute smiles and giggles and silly one-liners and precious art projects and big hugs and snuggles.
And sometimes I want to freeze them right where they are because I cannot stand ONE MORE MINUTE of whining, crying, fighting and other assorted nonsense and if they are frozen they cannot speak.
I really am a good mom, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment