Dear D,
I.Love.You. Let's start there, okay?
I am your biggest fan.
Your turned 10 this past Sunday. You are a decade, dude. Unbelievable.
I genuninely enjoy the person you're becoming. The young man I see when I look at you is someone special. Cue my he was born on 3/24 at 4:23! line. You are not perfect, of course. You are my child, remember.
There was a time, roughly from 3-4.5 years, that I thought I would not survive.
There were days when we were like oil and water, you and I. You had some clothing issues that led you to only want to wear soccer shorts, short sleeve shirts with the tags cut out and Crocs. Every day. Weather be damned. Being a first time mother who knew nothing, I fought you on this. And lost.
Your preschool teacher told me to pick my battles better and to let go. As soon as I did, your stubborn streak broke. Not that we haven't had other glimpses of that side of you-but I know now to give you space and let you make your own choices. You are a person who requires space and a bit of unstructured time. I can appreciate that.
No Napoleon Syndrome for you. Although it helps you are off the charts tall for your age.
You are sweet and sensitive. Not in a weak way. You are certainly capable of dishing it out to your sisters. I have seen you dish to friends when the situation called for it. But those exchanges bother you a bit. It's not in your nature to hurt someone's feelings intentionally. But if you feel cornered, watch out. I can appreciate that, also.
You are incredibly creative. I wish I had more of what you have in that arena. You are a great artist, writer and conceptual builder. You can see something in your mind and replicate it on paper or through Legos. I really dig that about you.
You are like me and can get lost in good fiction for days. You are reading series books now that even I enjoy reading. Cool stuff.
You love to be outside. Building forts, playing flashlight tag, fishing, archery, Nerf wars, shooting hoops, riding bikes. I love that you appreciate nature so much. You have a huge heart for animals and remind me so much of my dad sometimes in that way.
I wish I could shrink you back down to 3 again, after having survived another 2 kids. I would re-do that year and half. Push less, listen more. Thankfully, you seem to remember very little of that time.
I am thankful that you have made it to 10. The Paranoid Patty in me is always worried about your health and safety. To the extremes, sometimes. I don't think that apple fell too far from this tree, with you. You are a lot like me in that any health situation could be cause for a freakout. Whereas your sister's arm could be hanging by a thread and she would probably tap it to see it swing. Different strokes, I guess.
You are insanely handsome. And you don't even know it. That will change, someday, when some PYT starts chatting you up. Better hope she gets my blessing.
You are an amazing kid-funny, thoughtful, smart and creative. You are going to do big things. The road will not always be without bumps-you have already seen that. But I have faith in you. I see the husband, father and man you will become. And I really dig it.
I adore you!!
Love and happiness always,
Mom
I.Love.You. Let's start there, okay?
I am your biggest fan.
Your turned 10 this past Sunday. You are a decade, dude. Unbelievable.
I genuninely enjoy the person you're becoming. The young man I see when I look at you is someone special. Cue my he was born on 3/24 at 4:23! line. You are not perfect, of course. You are my child, remember.
There was a time, roughly from 3-4.5 years, that I thought I would not survive.
There were days when we were like oil and water, you and I. You had some clothing issues that led you to only want to wear soccer shorts, short sleeve shirts with the tags cut out and Crocs. Every day. Weather be damned. Being a first time mother who knew nothing, I fought you on this. And lost.
Your preschool teacher told me to pick my battles better and to let go. As soon as I did, your stubborn streak broke. Not that we haven't had other glimpses of that side of you-but I know now to give you space and let you make your own choices. You are a person who requires space and a bit of unstructured time. I can appreciate that.
No Napoleon Syndrome for you. Although it helps you are off the charts tall for your age.
You are sweet and sensitive. Not in a weak way. You are certainly capable of dishing it out to your sisters. I have seen you dish to friends when the situation called for it. But those exchanges bother you a bit. It's not in your nature to hurt someone's feelings intentionally. But if you feel cornered, watch out. I can appreciate that, also.
You are incredibly creative. I wish I had more of what you have in that arena. You are a great artist, writer and conceptual builder. You can see something in your mind and replicate it on paper or through Legos. I really dig that about you.
You are like me and can get lost in good fiction for days. You are reading series books now that even I enjoy reading. Cool stuff.
You love to be outside. Building forts, playing flashlight tag, fishing, archery, Nerf wars, shooting hoops, riding bikes. I love that you appreciate nature so much. You have a huge heart for animals and remind me so much of my dad sometimes in that way.
I wish I could shrink you back down to 3 again, after having survived another 2 kids. I would re-do that year and half. Push less, listen more. Thankfully, you seem to remember very little of that time.
I am thankful that you have made it to 10. The Paranoid Patty in me is always worried about your health and safety. To the extremes, sometimes. I don't think that apple fell too far from this tree, with you. You are a lot like me in that any health situation could be cause for a freakout. Whereas your sister's arm could be hanging by a thread and she would probably tap it to see it swing. Different strokes, I guess.
You are insanely handsome. And you don't even know it. That will change, someday, when some PYT starts chatting you up. Better hope she gets my blessing.
You are an amazing kid-funny, thoughtful, smart and creative. You are going to do big things. The road will not always be without bumps-you have already seen that. But I have faith in you. I see the husband, father and man you will become. And I really dig it.
I adore you!!
Love and happiness always,
Mom
May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!
No comments:
Post a Comment