It Can Change on a Dime

As in Life, can.
I heard that phrase a lot growing up.  My grandma used to remind me of it when telling me to "do right" because you never knew when it would be "your time". 
When you are a 15 year old girl who knows everything, this doesn't carry much weight.  But now as a 38 year old mother of three whose own mother died at only 31, I can feel the load.

Like so many things in life, it usually takes some sort of calamity to shake people into realizing the goodness all around them.  People mean well-they love a lot, pray much and work hard.  But it's easy to take things for granted when you have the luxury of waking up in your own bed each day and know you can walk across the room to hug your child or friend.

I have a very dear friend.  She made my high school days much more palatable.  We commiserated about asshole first-boyfriends and rocked out to John Mellencamp until our brains were mush.  I could walk into her house and open the right cabinet to find the cookies.  I lived at her house as much as my own it seemed in those days.  We got into trouble together, had entirely too much fun together and laugh about it all now.

She is a great mom and friend.  Her life changed in a single instant.  Out of the blue. 
Whenever anything happens to someone young, there is stunned silence.  I was actually unable to speak for about 90 seconds yesterday when hearing the news. 
This girl is vivacious, has a smile that lights up a room and a great laugh.  It shouldn't be her.  It can't be her.  But it is, so I am praying non-stop that God holds her in the palm of His hand.  I am using all my mental telethapy to tell her to FIGHT!  Come on, man!  We have porksteaks to barbeque, Blue Moons to drink and many laughs to still enjoy.  Don't leave the party just yet-we haven't got into nearly enough trouble.

Love the one you're with.  Love you ADM.

3 comments:

Ali said...

Nice Traci- I hope she's going to be ok.

Candi said...

Okay,I now have Niagra Falls coming out of my eyes!

I can get over this, I just feel like I am grasping for something to help me make sense of this. I know I just need to keep praying and what God has planned is best.

Please call us tonight if you need to we are gathering at my house or catch a flight and come over!!! :) Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Well said.....

Steph

Post a Comment