New House, New Year, Old Habits

The dust has settled and we are finally "in" our new house-all is well.
We have been blessed this past year with several things...
-Nora
-selling our old house
-buying another one with a great backyard and lots of kids for my little people
-buying new furniture
-all while my hubby is still gainfully employed.
Good stuff.

I watched the news this morning and the discussion was around trends in 2010 (kind of a freaky number if you've seen Space Odyssey movies). All of this talk about the latest gadgets is a bit unsettling to me...
-phones that do everything for you but wipe your butt
-reading books Kindle-style
-"new" notebooks for reading newspapers and magazines on-line ONLY.
Scary.
Why can't we open a real newspaper and read it at our kitchen table anymore?
Won't anyone miss cracking open a brand new book and feeling the stiffness of each page as you turn it?
Do you really need to be reached 24/7 on your phone that talks/plays music/takes pictures/plays videos?

My New Year resolution is simple and probably one I can actually keep. I vow to NOT get swept away in this "new era" of technology descending upon us in 2010 (love media hype).
I will still read newspapers at my kitchen table and let my kids look at the funny pages.
I will peruse book stores and pay too much for a hardback but read it cover to cover in 48 hours.
I will use my crackberry for work but not have it up my butt 24/7. I will also get my rotary phones strategically placed around my house as I love their ring.

I want my kids to be connected to the world through themselves - not a hand-held, application or other machine. I want them to know the rustle of a newspaper, the weight of a hardback and the sound of a real telephone. I want them to call people, not text and I want them to write handwritten notes that can't be deleted from someone's screen.

Like maybe this one can...Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment