Highs, Lows and the In-Between

So the Little People and I survived our road trip to the Midwest last week.
We had a great time, even with the weather.
I don't know yet if any of them love road trippin' as much as I do, but all three hung in there like super troopers.

A few highlights...
1.  The City Museum-simply one of my favorite
places and something my kids have talked about since we were there last summer.  TOO COOL.



Yes, those are my older 2 suspended in mid-air in only a tangle of chain link fencing



2.  Good old-fashioned playing in the dirt 

3.  Building homes for Roly-Polys



 4.  Seeing the Sights in the 'Lou-I had never taken them to the Old Courthouse before and they thought it was way cool.


A few lowlights...

We're at the park and Mommy is visiting with friends she hasn't seen in literally 20 YEARS.  Our little people are entertaining one another while we chat.
Suddenly, D runs up much too excitedly for my liking and announces that "Someone wrote asshole in the slide!"  Now, what do you do with that?
I informed him that it was NOT a word we used to which he replied "I know that, I'm just telling you what it said".
Well.  Thank you, Walter Cronkite, for the update.

My grandma isn't doing well.  It absolutely broke my heart to see her and I fought this overwhelming urge to just curl up in her bed next to her in the nursing home but I could tell my kids were already a bit freaked, so I refrained.
I'm surely glad she got to see my little people again and vice versa.

An in-between...
We came back in time to celebrate Easter Sunday here with daddy.
I'm reminding GoGo of why it's so important to celebrate Easter, why we were leaving our baskets behind to attend Mass, why it's not really about the Bunny.
I tell her about Jesus dying and coming back to life (resurrection is much too large a word to process).
She looks at me for a minute and then says "Well.  That is awesome."
Another pause.   "We should have a Jesus party!"
I tell her that is kind of what Easter Sunday is and she thinks that is "Great!".
Clearly, I'm not doing a good job of driving home the messages of our Faith but I do dig that she thinks it's all "awesome and great".
Better get to work on Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment