Confessions, Christmas Craziness and More

D took a big step towards his First Communion this past weekend - First Reconciliation.  Or, Confession, if you are old school like me but that seems to confuse the youngsters now.
He was so nervous - he has this little finger twisting thing going on when he's anxious about something.  It was palpable and I felt for him.  But he marched right on up to the front of the Church and laid it out there.
Somehow in the midst of his soul baring, he found it important to tell the Priest that "his sister drives him nuts".  I suspect this was to explain some of his sins away.  Which, he "only told him 3 things because that's all I could remember."
Sounds like plenty for a first-timer.  Then he came back to the pew and we prayed his Penance together (only ONE Our Father!) and he beamed at me and asked me how he did.
I could have eaten him up right then and there-so proud.
GoGo will be next year and that may be a longer process...

So we are in high Christmas spirits around here.  Lights a-blazing, music blaring, Elf on the Shelf out.
Each and every year I tell myself to slow down and really enjoy the Season for what it is, not what it's marketed to be.  Because each and every year I am a bit depressed after Christmas is over.  It goes by in a blur and all that seems to be left are shards of wrapping paper and cardboard boxes being turned into forts.
Are my kids really getting the message?  Do I have to remind them of the Birthday that IS Christmas?
No and Yes are the answers, unfortunately.
So this year we are adopting a family in need-not just an Angel Tree gift, although we've done those before.  This is the whole kit and caboodle-adults and kids both, food and gifts, bare necessities.  I don't know if it will help but we're going to give it a go.

Meanwhile, my little people are trying hard to be good, for that Elf is watching closely.
Walks With Purpose has repeated a few choice phrases recently (picked up from none other than Mommy) and both GoGo and D have reminded her that the Elf is watching and she may not get any presents for having such a potty mouth.  Ugh Oh.

I feel like so much is crammed into the next 2 weeks between school functions, parties, extra holiday projects, etc.  I'm sure I will forget a thing or 2 between now and then.

Like moving that Elf each night...

No comments:

Post a Comment