Heathens and Horses

I probably shouldn't tell stories about teaching Faith Formation but I can't help myself.

A few things from yesterday...
1.  Teaching the kids about parables.  Ask if anyone went to Mass this past Sunday and heard the parable about the Prodigal Son.  Every child but 2 nodded their heads NO, they had not  been to Church and therefore, had NOT heard the story.
I feigned disappointment, as we had not made it either.
Lovely leader, I am.
2.  Asked the kids about their favorite Bible stories.  No fewer than 3 told me they "didn't know any."  Hmm.  About 5 really and truly told me they had never heard about Noah and the Ark.
Now, I am a heathen in the finest sense and my kids are certainly no better for it but really?   All that stuff about the big boat and loading the animals 2-by-2?  Wow.  We have our work cut out for us this year.
3.  Finally after some story telling, we ask the kids to draw and write about their favorite parable.  At this point, any story about Jesus and God will suffice.  One kid's fave was "the one where God died."  Really.
I had to seriously bite my tongue and not inquire "Really?  Is that REALLY your favorite?  The one where he DIES?  And are you sure HE dies?"
But I am an adult and I am able to control my sarcastic tongue when surrounded by 8 year olds.
4.  I pick up my 2 older ones after class and we are on our way to pick up Walks With Purpose from the nursery.  I see D holding his class book and ask GoGo where hers is.  She looks very confused.  I ask her again.  Again, the face.
By this point my voice may have started to get a bit loud as I asked her again, where her book was.  I tell her we have to pick up Walks with Purpose and now we have to walk back to your class to get your book and we will be late and For the Love of Pete.  One or two mothers may have glanced our way.
Then D, my smart and sweet boy, gently taps the book in my hand.  He gives me a look like "Really, the book?  The one in YOUR HAND?"  For the Love of Pete.

I think all of this heat and rain is affecting my brain.  Thank God I saw a few small signs of Fall around today.

http://theroostphotography.blogspot.com/2011/09/slowly-but-surely.html

No comments:

Post a Comment