We're sort of a mixed-up but happy bunch.
It takes us a while to figure out what makes us tick.
Here I am, 38 going on 21.
I only in the last couple of years realized that I really dig taking pictures, really listening to music and writing again. Throw in a rabid love of garage sales and musty antique shops, cooking and a few Blue Moons and voila. There I am.
So I probably didn't look like someone who actually wants to learn how to play guitar when I rolled into the music school parking lot in my mini-van, rain boots and yellow peacoat.
I'm sure the dude was like "Whatever".
I even failed my first test (which hand is most important in guitar playing?) Hint: NOT the left one.
Ok. So we started right in on basic chords and strumming and guess what? I am pretty good, he tells me.
I probably won't make Clapton's tour next year, but perhaps another.
So last night D is supposed to be reading in his bed but spies me with the guitar on the couch and makes a beeline for me. "MOM! What are you DOING?!" He is fascinated with the guitar and wants to use the pick himself to make some noise. Maybe I will have my rock star child after all...
Out of my 3, he I think is my fellow late bloomer. He is in the moment, let's play today and worry about tomorrow-well, tomorrow.
Granted, he did just turn 8. So really, what does he need to plan for?
If you ask him what he wants to be when he grows up, he says lego builder or drawer or fort-maker. I do feel fairly certain his path will be a creative and wiggly one, but who really knows. I do know that he does not like to be forced into doing things and I was certainly the same growing up. I of course did do things I could have gone without but what I came to love the most, I discovered on my own.
I am trying to give D the space to be able to do the same. Even if it takes him to 38.
If you ask GoGo what she wants to be when she grows up, she has a very detailed list...mommy, doctor, teacher and fashion model. Even if none of those pan out, I know she will have a relatively straight trajectory in life. She gets that straight from Daddy, clearly.
This seems to go against the grain that is GoGo-she is my rule breaker-sassy-frass-limit pusher. But in the midst of the mayhem that is Margot there is a strong will driving that train.
Too soon to tell about Agent P, but I suspect she may litter her path with snacks in case she needs to find her way back anytime.
Now time for this late bloomer to practice her D chord.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment